The DMC-G5 records high-resolution full HD 1,920 x 1,080 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) videos in AVCHD Progressive (MPEG-4 / H.264) format. Upgrading the full HD recording capability from interlaced to progressive, subjects with fast motion or fine details are reproduced even more clearly.
A special, dedicated button on the top lets you instantly start recording videos while shooting photos without having to make any extra settings.
The DMC-G5 can record videos in MP4 format. This format is suitable for editing videos on a computer or uploading those to websites. Resolution can be selected among 1,920 x 1,080, 1,280 x 720, and 640 x 480, all at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL).
1080/60p / 1080/50p (progressive) conveys about twice the information of 1080i (interlace) recording. It creates intricate detail and silky smooth motion. Even when subjects move quickly, afterimages are minimized to create more natural images.
Only half of the image data is reproduced in each picture.
Reproduces all of image data in a single picture.
While shooting an HD video, simply press / touch the shutter button and the camera will shoot a photo with 12-megapixel high resolution as it continues to record your video*. This makes sure that you don't miss those decisive moments with either photos or videos, or both.
* The picture aspect ratio will be fixed to 16:9.
Still Picture Priorities
Images will be recorded with the set picture size and quality.
Up to 8 still images can be recorded in video recording.
The screen will go dark while recording images. A still image will be recorded in the video during that period, and audio is not recorded.
Images will be recorded with a picture size of [S] (2M). The image quality may be different to [S] (2M) of standard images.
Up to 30 still images can be recorded in video recording.
Only JPEG images are recorded when quality is set to RAW+Fine, RAW+Standard or RAW. (When set to RAW, still images will be recorded in quality of Fine.)
*1 These are standard times taken at a temperature of 23°C (73.4°F) and a humidity of 50%RH. The time available for recording varies depending on the environment, the interval between recordings, and the manner of use. Actual recordable time is the time available for recording when repeating actions such as switching the power supply [ON]/[OFF], starting/stopping recording, zoom operation, etc. *2 With LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS014042) (bundled lens in the DMC-G5K and the DMC-G5W). *3 LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) (bundled lens in the DMC-G5X) or LUMIX G VARIO 45-150mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS45150) (bundled lens in the DMC-G5W).
• Videos can be recorded continuously for up to 29 min 59 sec in European PAL areas. • Continuous recording exceeding 4GB or 29 minutes 59 seconds is not possible when recording MP4. Remaining time for continuous recording is displayed on the screen. • Use a card with SD Speed Class* with "Class 4" or higher when recording videos in AVCHD. *SD Speed Class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.
Incorporating a stereo zoom microphone, the videos also come with the high-quality stereo sound of Dolby® Digital Stereo Creator, to offer highly realistic sound to the video.
• Dolby and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.
The DMC-G5 lets you adjust the audio input level in four steps.
The Auto Wind Cut function is also available to block out most of the noise from background wind automatically making the human voice to stand out.
You can use the Creative Control and Photo Style for shooting videos. It renders highly unique expressions by matching the colors to your subject and surroundings. In Miniature Effect Mode, the video recorded is played back in 10x fast-forwarding making it more comical to watch*.
* Sound will not be recorded with Miniature Effect in Creative Control Mode and approximately 1/10 of the time period is recorded. (If you record for 10 minutes, the resulting motion picture recording will be approximately 1 minute long.)
* The video is optimized for web view by file conversion.
The Touch AF in video recording also lets you enjoy professional-like rack focusing. Just by pointing the subject, the focus is shifted to it and let it stand out to attract attention.
Even video beginners can record excellent videos with the DMC-G5 because the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode is also available for video recording*.
* Some functions in the iA Mode will not be available depending on the lens that is mounted.
The Extra Tele Conversion function virtually extends the zoom range when recording image not in the full-size. So you can take telephoto shots even with lenses that don't normally allow zooming. You can take 2x zoom shots in still image recording* and 2.4x / 3.6x / 4.8x zoom shots in video recording.
* When a picture size of [S], 4:3 aspect ratio is selected. The magnification level differs depending on picture size and aspect ratio setting.
HD Lens is a high performance interchangeable lens that realizes high quality video recording. The lens excels in the performance of tracking focus in video recording while offering silent auto focus and exposure control.
You can divide a single video into two parts using only the camera. This is handy for compiling memorable scenes, and deleting unwanted scenes to free up space on your memory card while you are traveling.
You can copy a number of frames during playback of an HD video to produce high-quality photos thanks to the Intelligent Resolution technology.
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.2 PE and LoiLoScope (trial version), which are well suited for playing and editing videos, come bundled with the DMC-G5.
Formats to Match Your Needs
AVCHD: Optimal for viewing on a VIERA TV or with DIGA Blu-ray Disc™ player.
MP4: Optimal for viewing or editing on a computer.
Photos or videos recorded in AVCHD on the SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards are easy to view on a Panasonic VIERA TV. Simply insert the card into the SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card slot on VIERA TV or DIGA Blu-ray Disc™ player to playback your content. Alternatively, you can use an optional HDMI mini cable to output the photos and videos you took from the DMC-G5 directly to the TV for VIERA Link.
• The HDMI output function requires the optional RP-CDHM15/CDHM30 HDMI mini cable. The output resolution of the DMC-G5 can be selected as 1,080p, 1,080i or 480p. Please confirm that the TV you are connecting to has an HDMI input terminal compatible with the selected signal. Depending on the cable used, some functions may not be possible. Panasonic HDMI cables are highly recommended.
• Videos and images with audio taken with the DMC-G5 may not always be able to be played back with cameras by other manufacturers. • AVCHD videos recorded with the image quality set to SH mode (1,280 × 720) cannot be played on AVCHD-compatible digital video cameras. • AVCHD videos recorded with AVCHD-compatible digital video cameras cannot be played on the DMC-G5. • AVCHD videos recorded onto an SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card or a DVD disc cannot be played on a device that does not support the AVCHD standard. • SDHC Memory Cards and SDXC Memory Cards can be used only in equipment that is compatible with their respective formats. • If the computer being used does not support SDXC Memory Cards, a message prompting you to format may appear. (Doing so will cause recorded images to be erased so do not choose to format.) If the card is not recognized, please refer to the support site. http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/SDXC.html
• The DMC-G5 is compatible with UHS-I standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards.