The DMC-GF5 is an advanced photographic tool for recording not only great photos but also beautiful full HD 1,920 x 1,080 videos in AVCHD (MPEG-4 / H.264) format*1. The AVCHD format features almost twice the recording time in HD quality than the conventional Motion JPEG and excels in the compatibility with AV devices like HDTVs or Blu-ray Disc™ players.
The DMC-GF5 can record videos in MP4 format. This format is suitable for editing videos on a computer or uploading those to websites. Resolution can be selected among 1,920 x 1,080 (20Mbps), 1,280 x 720 (10Mbps), and 640 x 480 (4Mbps), all at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL).
*1 Full HD (1,920 × 1,080) videos are output by the image sensor at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC) / 50i (PAL). HD (1,280 × 720) videos are output by the image sensor at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL), and recorded at 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL). *2 These are standard times taken at a temperature of 23°C (73.4°F) and a humidity of 50%RH. The time available for recording varies depending on the environment, the interval between recordings, and the manner of use. Actual recordable time is the time available for recording when repeating actions such as switching the power supply [ON]/[OFF], starting/stopping recording, zoom operation, etc. *3 With LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS014042) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5K or DMC-GF5W). *4 With LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5X), LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS1442A) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5KA or DMW-GF5WA) or LUMIX G VARIO 45-150mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS45150) (bundled lens in the DMW-GF5WA). *5 With LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 ASPH. (H-H014) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5C or DMC-GF5W).
• Videos can be recorded continuously for up to 29 min 59 sec in European PAL areas. • Continuous recording exceeding 4GB or 29 minutes 59 seconds is not possible when recording MP4. Remaining time for continuous recording is displayed on the screen. • Use a card with SD Speed Class* with "Class 4" or higher when recording videos in AVCHD. *SD Speed Class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.
A stereo microphone, featuring Dolby® Digital Stereo Creator, on the upper body records dynamic, true-to-life stereo audio that brings out the power of your HD videos.
• Dolby and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.
The DMC-GF5 lets you adjust the audio input level in four steps.
The Wind Cut function is available to block out most of the noise from background wind. This gives you higher quality sound when taking images on breezy days.
You can use the Creative Control for shooting videos. It renders highly unique expressions by matching the colors to your subject and surroundings. In Miniature Effect Mode, the video recorded is played back in 10x fast-forwarding making it more comical to watch*.
* Sound will not be recorded with Miniature Effect in Creative Control Mode and approximately 1/10 of the time period is recorded. (If you record for 10 minutes, the resulting motion picture recording will be approximately 1 minute long.)
HD Lens is a high performance interchangeable lens that realizes high quality video recording. The lens excels in the performance of tracking focus in video recording while offering silent auto focus and exposure control.
The compact 3D-capable interchangeable lens, LUMIX G 12.5mm / F12, allows easier handling and instant 3D shooting with cameras without a special structure for 3D shooting. It produces 3D images without distortion or time lag between left and right images, even for moving objects. The 3D images, even close-up shots, taken with this lens are easy on the eyes when viewed on VIERA 3D TVs.
* For a digital interchangeable lens as of September 21, 2010.
Photos or videos recorded in AVCHD on the SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards are easy to view on a Panasonic VIERA TV. Simply insert the card into the SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card slot on VIERA TV or DIGA Blu-ray Disc™ player to playback your content. Alternatively, you can use an optional HDMI mini cable to output the photos and videos you took from the DMC-GF5 directly to the TV for VIERA Link. Most of the control is possible using only the TV's remote control.
Especially, 3D images offer you a whole new exciting experience.
• The HDMI output function requires the optional RP-CDHM15/CDHM30 HDMI mini cable. The output resolution of the DMC-GF5 can be selected as 1,080i or 480p (576p in PAL system). Please confirm that the TV you are connecting to has an HDMI input terminal compatible with the selected signal. Depending on the cable used, some functions may not be possible. Panasonic HDMI cables are highly recommended.
• Videos and images with audio taken with the DMC-GF5 may not always be able to be played back with cameras by other manufacturers. Playback may also not be possible with certain Panasonic digital cameras (LUMIX) launched before December 2008, and some cameras launched in 2009 (FS, LS Series). • AVCHD videos recorded with the image quality set to SH mode (1,280 × 720) cannot be played on AVCHD-compatible digital video cameras. • AVCHD videos recorded with AVCHD-compatible digital video cameras cannot be played on the DMC-GF5. • AVCHD videos recorded onto an SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card or a DVD disc cannot be played on a device that does not support the AVCHD standard. • SDHC Memory Cards and SDXC Memory Cards can be used only in equipment that is compatible with their respective formats. • If the computer being used does not support SDXC Memory Cards, a message prompting you to format may appear. (Doing so will cause recorded images to be erased so do not choose to format.) If the card is not recognized, please refer to the support site. http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/SDXC.html
The DMC-GF5 offers a wide variety of options to choose from to match your shooting situations and style. In addition, stylish carrying bags and straps are available. These accessories let you further upgrade the system according to your shooting style and preference.
The Extra Tele Conversion function*1 virtually extends the zoom range when recording image not in the full-size. So you can take telephoto shots even with lenses that don't normally allow zooming. You can take 2x zoom shots in still image recording*1 and 3.1x / 4.2x zoom shots in video recording*2.
*1 When a picture size of [S], 4:3 aspect ratio is selected. The magnification level differs depending on picture size and aspect ratio setting.
*2 Not available in AVCHD FSH mode and MP4 FHD mode.
*4 As digital magnification increases, resolution significantly decreases.
The DMC-GF5 lets you shoot in aspect ratios of 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 mode. The 1:1 mode gives you unique, square-shaped photos. Being able to match the aspect ratio to your subject and shooting intent gives you even greater expression.
The function the user changes its setting can be assigned to the 1 external button and 2 menus in the software tab for direct reach.
A total of 3 custom setting patterns can be memorized to the camera.
• One Push AE
• AF/AE Lock
• Photo Style
• Aspect Ratio
• Picture Size
• Focus Mode
• Metering Mode
• I. Resolution
• I. Dynamic
• EX. Tele Conv.
• Digital Zoom
• Motion Pic. Set
• Guide Line
• Step Zoom
• Zoom Speed
• Rec Area
Frequently used functions can be quickly retrieved and easily switched by using the Q.MENU button. You can also arrange the Q.MENU to your liking by simply dragging and dropping icons into position.
The One Push AE adjusts exposure with a single press of the Fn (Function) button when it is over/under exposured. It is especially useful in shoot in outdoor with open aperture or indoor with fast shutter speed.
The shading function on the DMC-GF5 corrects vignetting to give you clear images with uniform brightness overall.
The DMC-GF5's 2-axis adjustment feature gives you a finer white balance adjustment, even when adjusting the Color Temperature Setting or White Set function*. The white balance bracket function shoots 3 consecutive photos with slight changes to the white balance setting of each photo in both the horizontal (amber to blue) and vertical (green to magenta) axes.
* White balance adjustment is not possible in some modes.
The Auto Bracket function records several photos at varied exposure levels in a compensation range of ±EV 3/4 in 1/3 EV or 2/3 EV steps. The DMC-GF5 will record up to 5 images with a single press of the shutter button.
With the DMC-GF5, you can freely move the guide lines according to the subject's position. This is handy when you want to take extra care in framing, especially when using a tripod. You can also move the histogram to a position where it will not block the subject on the screen.
ISO sensitivity step in 1/3 EV allows you to make fine adjustments and achieve the level of image quality you want. The maximum sensitivity setting ensures that you'll get the level of image quality you want by letting you set your own limit for ISO sensitivity. It is applied to the Intelligent ISO Control and ISO AUTO functions.
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.2 AE makes it possible to sort and organize photos not only of those newly taken but also of those stored in your computer with quick start-up and fast read-in of images. The Face Recognition function that recognizes the faces in the picture automatically sorts the photos by the registered faces without picking out each photo one by one when you only want pictures of a specific person.
You can also enjoy slideshows with a variety of effects and use your iTunes music library as background music and burn it onto a DVD disc in MPEG2. It is easy to create an edited short video by just selecting the photos and video clips you like with Short Movie Story function.
Photos and videos can be uploaded to Facebook or YouTube™ via the same interface.
• Facebook and the Facebook logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Facebook, Inc
• YouTube is a trademark of Google Inc.
The DMC-GF5 records original image data in RAW file format, which allows images to be developed according to your intention. A number of highly advanced functions can be applied to these RAW images by using the SILKYPIX® Developer Studio 3.1 SE software utility, with its unique combination of high resolution and extraordinary color separation performance.
You can easily edit, convert and manage videos that you took in AVCHD format. And there are many effects to choose from. This helps to create the kind of videos you want and greatly adds to the fun after shooting.
Color space settings, sRGB or Adobe RGB, for shot images are possible so that the images will be reproduced on computer screens or printed sheets correctly.
The DMC-GF5 is compatible with UHS-I standard for the SDXC/SDHC Memory Card taking its advantage of high-speed data transmission.
With the DMC-GF5 featuring the 3.0-inch, 920K-dot LCD, images are bright and easy to see, even outdoors on a sunny day. Along with the ordinary playback screen, there is a variety of information screens. You can also mark images as favorites, and keep them protected not to be accidentally delete.
Shooting Information Detail Display
Thumbnail / Calendar Display
You can divide a single video into two parts using only the camera. This is handy for compiling memorable scenes, and deleting unwanted scenes to free up space on your memory card while you are traveling.
You can copy a number of frames during playback of an HD video to produce high-quality photos thanks to the Intelligent Resolution technology.
The DMC-GF5 can play a slideshow with music. Choose from 4 types of music: Natural, Slow, Swing and Urban. Then, select the transition effect to match your music. You can also use the optional RP-CDHM15/CDHM30 HDMI mini cable to connect the camera to an HDTV for breathtaking, large-screen viewing.
With the Category Playback Mode, you can choose to display only photos that contain specific subjects. Images are sorted into the categories; Face Recognition, Portrait, Scenery, Night Scenery, Events, Food and Travel date.
The Title Edit function in playback mode lets you edit the titles of any photos you want. The Profile Setup and Face Recognition functions let you enter the date of birth and name of your subject in advance. You can also enter your destination and the date of travel in advance, in the Travel Date setting. The title, name, age based on the birth date, date of travel information, and date of shooting are displayed during playback, and can be printed on photos.*1
*1 When date, name and title are stamped on a photo, the photo is automatically resized to S-size.
*2 The title input screen varies depending on the function.
By setting the departure day, return day and destination of your trip with your LUMIX, you can display on which day of the trip each photo was taken while viewing.
This setting lets you display the local time of your destination when traveling. You simply select your travel destination, and the camera calculates the time difference from the time in the clock setting and displays the local time. You can set the time and date for 74 locations across the world.
The energy-saving Venus Engine and the genuine rechargeable lithium-ion battery work together to extend the shooting time of the DMC-GF5, making it possible to take approx. 320 shots*2, approx. 330 shots*3, approx. 340 shots*4 or approx. 360 shots*5 on a single battery charge.
*1 With eco mode.
*2 According to the CIPA Standard with the LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS014042) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5K or DMC-GF5W).
*3 According to the CIPA Standard with the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5X).
*4 According to the CIPA Standard with the LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS1442A) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5KA or DMW-GF5WA) or LUMIX G VARIO 45-150mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS45150) (bundled lens in the DMW-GF5WA).
*5 According to the CIPA Standard with the LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 ASPH. (H-H014) (bundled lens in the DMC-GF5C or DMC-GF5W).
• Batteries made by other companies which have been certified by Panasonic may be used with these units, but we offer no guarantee as to the quality, performance or safety of such batteries. • Exercise care when purchasing batteries. Many fake or imitation batteries have been found among those sold at unusually low prices and those which customers cannot check for themselves before purchasing. • Please confirm the latest information about batteries on the following website. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/info/battery.html
(This website is in English only.)
• Availability of models and colors may differ depending on the country or region.
• Check the website of the Panasonic sales company in your country or region for details on the LUMIX models and optional accessories that are available in your market.