Head on this page.
LUMIX Global TOP > DSLM CAMERAS > DMC-GX1 > Excellent Video Shooting with Full-Time AF
The DMC-GX1 is an advanced photographic tool for recording not only great photos but also beautiful full HD 1,920 x 1,080 videos in AVCHD (MPEG-4 / H.264) format*1. The AVCHD format features almost twice the recording time in HD quality than the conventional Motion JPEG and excels in the compatibility with AV devices like HDTVs or Blu-ray Disc™ players.
Learn more about AVCHD
The DMC-GX1 can record videos in MP4 format. This format is suitable for editing videos on a computer or uploading those to websites. Resolution can be selected among 1,920 x 1,080 (20Mbps), 1,280 x 720 (10Mbps), and 640 x 480 (4Mbps), all at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL).
While shooting an HD video, simply press / touch the shutter button and the camera will shoot a photo with 11.5-megapixel high resolution as it continues to record your video*. This makes sure that you don't miss those decisive moments with either photos or videos, or both.
* The picture aspect ratio will be fixed to 16:9.
Still Picture Priorities
- Images will be recorded with the set picture size and quality.
- Up to 8 still images can be recorded in video recording.
- The screen will go dark while recording images. A still image will be recorded in the video during that period, and audio is not recorded.
- Images will be recorded with a picture size of [S] (2M). The image quality may be different to [S] (2M) of standard images.
- Up to 30 still images can be recorded in video recording.
- Only JPEG images are recorded when quality is set to RAW+Fine, RAW+Standard or RAW. (When set to RAW, still images will be recorded in quality of Fine.)
*1 Full HD (1,920 × 1,080) videos are output by the image sensor at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC) / 50i (PAL). HD (1,280 × 720) videos are output by the image sensor at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL), and recorded at 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL). *2 These are standard times taken at a temperature of 23°C (73.4°F) and a humidity of 50%RH. The time available for recording varies depending on the environment, the interval between recordings, and the manner of use. Actual recordable time is the time available for recording when repeating actions such as switching the power supply [ON]/[OFF], starting/stopping recording, zoom operation, etc. *3 With LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS014042) (bundled lens in the DMC-GX1K and the DMC-GX1W). *4 LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) (bundled lens in the DMC-GX1X). *5 With LUMIX G 14mm / F2.5 ASPH. (H-H014) (bundled lens in the DMC-GX1W).
• Videos can be recorded continuously for up to 29 min 59 sec in European PAL areas. • Continuous recording exceeding 4GB or 29 minutes 59 seconds is not possible when recording MP4. Remaining time for continuous recording is displayed on the screen. • Use a card with SD Speed Class* with "Class 4" or higher when recording videos in AVCHD. *SD Speed Class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.
A stereo microphone, featuring Dolby® Digital Stereo Creator, on the upper body records dynamic, true-to-life stereo audio that brings out the power of your HD videos.
• Dolby and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.
The DMC-GX1 lets you adjust the audio input level in four steps.
The Wind Cut function is available to block out most of the noise from background wind. This gives you higher quality sound when taking images on breezy days.
The Touch AF in video recording also lets you enjoy professional-like rack focusing. Just by pointing the subject, the focus is shifted to it and let it stand out to attract attention.
* The video is optimized for web view by file conversion.
You can use the Creative Control and Photo Style for shooting videos. It renders highly unique expressions by matching the colors to your subject and surroundings. In Miniature Effect Mode, the video recorded is played back in 10x fast-forwarding making it more comical to watch*.
* Sound will not be recorded with Miniature Effect in Creative Control Mode and approximately 1/10 of the time period is recorded. (If you record for 10 minutes, the resulting motion picture recording will be approximately 1 minute long.)
* The video is optimized for web view by file conversion.
Even video beginners can record excellent videos with the DMC-GX1 because the iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode is also available for video recording*.
* Some functions in the iA Mode will not be available depending on the lens that is mounted.
The Extra Tele Conversion function*1 virtually extends the zoom range when recording images not in the full-size. So you can take telephoto shots even with lenses that don't normally allow zooming.
*1 Not available in AVCHD FSH mode and MP4 FHD mode.
*3 As digital magnification increases, resolution significantly decreases.
HD Lens is a high performance interchangeable lens that realizes high quality video recording. The lens excels in the performance of tracking focus in video recording while offering silent auto focus and exposure control.
You can divide a single video into two parts using only the camera. This is handy for compiling memorable scenes, and deleting unwanted scenes to free up space on your memory card while you are traveling.
You can copy a number of frames during playback of an HD video to produce high-quality photos thanks to the Intelligent Resolution technology.
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition and LoiLoScope (trial version), which are well suited for playing and editing videos, come bundled with the DMC-GX1.
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition lets you sort and organize images with quick start-up and fast image loading. Video clips can be uploaded directly to YouTube™. And the LoiloScope lets you experience high-speed HD video editing.
• YouTube is a trademark of Google Inc.
Formats to Match Your Needs
AVCHD: Optimal for viewing on a VIERA TV or with DIGA Blu-ray Disc™ player.
MP4: Optimal for viewing or editing on a computer.
Photos or videos recorded in AVCHD on the SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards are easy to view on a Panasonic VIERA TV. Simply insert the card into the VIERA Image Viewer (SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card slot) on VIERA TV or DIGA Blu-ray Disc™ player to playback your content. Alternatively, you can use an optional HDMI mini cable to output photos and videos you took from the DMC-GX1 directly to the TV for VIERA Link. Most of the control is possible by using only the TV's remote control.
• The HDMI output function requires the optional RP-CDHM15/CDHM30 HDMI mini cable. The output resolution of the DMC-GX1 can be selected as 1,080i, 720p or 480p (576p in PAL system). Please confirm that the TV you are connecting to has an HDMI input terminal compatible with the selected signal. Depending on the cable used, some functions may not be possible. Panasonic HDMI cables are highly recommended.
• Videos and images with audio taken with the DMC-GX1 may not always be able to be played back with cameras by other manufacturers. Playback may also not be possible with certain Panasonic digital cameras (LUMIX) launched before December 2008, and some cameras launched in 2009 (FS, LS Series). • AVCHD videos recorded with the image quality set to SH mode (1,280 × 720) cannot be played on AVCHD-compatible digital video cameras. • AVCHD videos recorded with AVCHD-compatible digital video cameras cannot be played on the DMC-GX1. • AVCHD videos recorded onto an SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card or a DVD disc cannot be played on a device that does not support the AVCHD standard. • SDHC Memory Cards and SDXC Memory Cards can be used only in equipment that is compatible with their respective formats. • If the computer being used does not support SDXC Memory Cards, a message prompting you to format may appear. (Doing so will cause recorded images to be erased so do not choose to format.) If the card is not recognized, please refer to the support site. http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/SDXC.html
• The DMC-GX1 is compatible with UHS-I standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards.
• More detailed information is available on our support site.
• Availability of models and colors may differ depending on the country or region.
• Check the website of the Panasonic sales company in your country or region for details on the LUMIX models and optional accessories that are available in your market.
Return to Top