PETEC takes advantage of the vast knowledge that it gains from its everyday activities to also develop and apply advanced recycling technologies.
Development and Practical Application with an Eye to the Future
Panasonic promotes "recycling-oriented manufacturing," which repeats the use of the limited amount of resources on Earth. As a part of this initiative, we are working to enhance the use of recycled resources.
The Panasonic Eco Technology Center (PETEC) has an in-house R&D division in its facility, which works hand-in-hand with the many R&D teams of the Panasonic Group. Based on knowledge gained from actual recycling work, these R&D professionals strive to discover new recycling methods and systems, focusing on technologies for efficiently recovering and reusing the valuable resources that remain in end-of-life appliances.
Recycling Technology Developed to Sort Three Types of Plastic Simultaneously
- • Improvements were made to a high-precision resin selection system using near-infrared identification technology that was developed by Panasonic in 2010, to develop a new technology for sorting and recovering three types of resins (PP, PS, ABS) simultaneously.
- • The resins are processed three times faster than with conventional methods, and recovered with a level of precision that exceeds 99% purity.
- • This technical development will accelerate the reuse of recycled resins.
Panasonic Develops Recycling Technology That Simultaneously Sorts Three Types of Resin (Only available in Japanese)
Inside the High-Precision Plastic Sorting System
Three types of resin (PP, PS and ABS) are simultaneously sorted with high precision.
Sorted and recovered by material type...
Each is shipped as a single recycled resin.
Organic decomposition system that reduces dust (waste)
- • Enables treatment of dust (waste) without incineration using catalytic reactions of titanium oxide
- • Metal contained in the dust is automatically collected and can be utilized as recycled resources
Panasonic Eco Technology Center to Begin Full Operation of Organic Decomposition Treatment Equipment
Preprocessing dust (metal fragments, plastics, rubber, vinyl chloride, etc.)
After processing, the copper, iron, and other metals are in a condition that is easy to recover.
High-efficient recycling line that enables disassembly of unsorted waste refrigerators
- • Reads the item number of the waste refrigerator, and automatically detects the type of refrigerant gas and insulating foamed gas (fluorocarbon or non-fluorocarbon)
- • Eliminates sorting work of each type of gas and storage space for gas-specific type refrigerator, and achieves safe and proper recycling treatment of waste refrigerators with improvement in work efficiency by 50% and half the line area.
A stock line for end-of-life refrigerators. Various brands are mixed together.
The type is automatically detected and moved to a designated location.
The refrigerant inside chlorofluorocarbon-type, end-of-life refrigerators is recovered.
The recovered chlorofluorocarbon is sent to special processing plants in a tightly sealed condition.
For details, please refer to "Recycling Processes: Recycling Refrigerators."
Development of a Highly Efficient Recycle Line That Enables In-Line Processing of Tilted Drum Washing Machines
- • In order to process the tilted drum washing machines that are expected to increase in the future, the line has been redesigned to allow in-line processing. This greatly improves the daily processing capability.
Washing machines with tilt-type drums and vertical drums are processed on the same line.
An efficient workflow is achieved by highly skilled staff members.
The recycling facilities respond flexibly to advancements in home appliances.
For details, please refer to "Recycling Processes: Recycling Washing Machines."
PETEC has many new technologies or processes, some of which were put to practical use for the first time in Japan. These technologies have been patented and widely opened to the public. Because of this, PETEC technologies are actively used in factories both inside and outside Japan.