Main Contents begins from here.
Stone Monument Erected to Mark Where Founder Konosuke Matsushita Started the Business
On November 27, 2004, the 110th observance of the birth of founder Konosuke Matsushita, the unveiling ceremony was held for the stone monument that marks where he founded the business in Ohiraki in Osaka's Fukushima Ward.
It was in Ohiraki in 1918 that a then 23-year-old Konosuke founded “Matsushita Electric Housewares Manufacturing Works,” the company that would become Panasonic. For the ensuing 15 years, until the company relocated to Kadoma City in 1933, operations continued in Ohiraki, thus laying the cornerstone of the business.
The erection of the stone monument was part of an effort by the confederated town council to revitalize Ohiraki, where locals had lamented the lack of any sort of indication that the town was where Konosuke had started the business. In 2003, in response to the town council’s fund-raising efforts for “The Committee for Businesses Related to Ohiraki-cho and Founder Konosuke Matsushita,” about 9,300 locals as well as current and former Panasonic Corporation employees responded. The result was the erection of the stone monument in a current part of Ohiraki Park where the second headquarters and plant had been located.
Standing 1.8 meters in height and two meters wide, the stone monument is inscribed with the character for “the path” as written by Konosuke himself. In addition to the stone monument, Ohiraki also has positioned plaques indicating the house where the company started and where the first headquarters and plant and second plant (lamp assembly plant) were located.
Banner area begins from here.
Sub Menu begins from here.