Today, one in five people in the world still live in extreme poverty, and one in eight remain starving.
Through the 100 Thousand Solar Lanterns Project, Panasonic is contributing toward achieving the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), which include halving the number of people living in extreme poverty by 2015 and other targets set forth to resolve poverty issues in developing countries.
What is the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) ?
The MDGs were adopted by 189 nations at the Millennium Summit, a UN conference held in September 2000. Eight MDGs have been set forth targeting international issues such as peace and security, development and poverty, the environment, human rights, and indicating courses of action for progress, with specific targets to be achieved for each by 2015.
●For more information: UNDP “The Millennium Development Goals: Eight Goals for 2015”
The Eight Millennium Development Goals and Targets
Goal 1 Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Halve, between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people whose income is less than $1 a day
- Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all, including women and young people
- Halve, between 1990 and 2015, the proportion of people who suffer from hunger
Goal 2 Achieve universal primary education
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
Goal 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education, preferably by 2005, and in all levels of education no later than 2015
Goal 4 Reduce child mortality
- Reduce by two thirds, between 1990 and 2015, the under-five mortality rate
Goal 5 Improve maternal health
- Reduce by three quarters, between 1990 and 2015, the maternal mortality ratio
- Achieve, by 2015, universal access to reproductive health
Goal 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Have halted by 2015 and begun to reverse the spread of HIV/AIDS
- Achieve, by 2010, universal access to treatment for HIV/AIDS for all those who need it
- Have halted by 2015 and begun to reverse the incidence of malaria and other major diseases
Goal 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes and reverse the loss of environmental resources
- Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss
- Halve by 2015, the proportion of the population without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation
- By 2020,to have achieved a significant improvement in the lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers
Goal 8 Develop a global partnership for development
- Develop further an open, rule-based, predictable, non-discriminatory trading and financial system
- Address the special needs of least developed countries
- Address the special needs of landlocked developing countries and small island developing States
- Deal comprehensively with the debt problems of developing countries
- In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries
- In cooperation with the private sector, make available benefits of new technologies, especially information and communications
* Logos created by the NPO Hottokenai Sekaino Mazushisa
Panasonic contributes to achieve the MDGs through solar lanterns in partnership with NGOs and other international organizations active in regions without electricity.
- Improving educational environment such as gloomy elementary and middle schools and literacy classes at night
- Providing light in community centers to support the independence of women
- Providing light in health centers where night-time medical care is provided to infants and expectant or nursing mothers
- Partnerships with NGOs and social enterprises active in regions without electricity
Please see here for specific stories.